Saturday, December 13, 2008

Giving thanks in Wilbur



I love living in the states because road trips actually lead to interesting towns, and it doesn't take long before adventuring into a new and unfamiliar place. Don't get me wrong, I love Alaskan road-trips and camping in the middle of nowhere, but seriously one could drive hours and be no-where, but somewhere still in Alaska. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, my roommate, Kate, and I packed up and hopped in a car with a few others to head up north to Wilbur, Washington, her hometown of 800 or so.

If you are like me, you are probably imagining a scene from the children's story Charlotte's Web, but for a girl who didn't grow up in a rural farming community, it was better than just a children's story. I tend to find new things fascinating, like a little girl who sees a butterfly for the first time. Luckily for me, I haven't been able to kick the awe-like fascination and the journey of traveling, and exploring nature, cultures, and art is more of a breath-taking view from each summit I encounter as I hike the trails of life.

Back to Wilbur...

Only 6 hours later we were in farm land and then the real experience started. It was a nice switch up from Portland city life...neighbors actually care about one another and rarely do they notify the other before walking through the front door of one of the neighborhood friends. I can't imagine anything like this happening in Portland, especially in NE or SE, or along the notorious 82nd stretch.

Our time away was refreshing, insightful, and just fun. We enjoyed park lights, a hayride, Mantiques, a craft bizarre, and a trip to Spokane.

These are some photos from my Thanksgiving experience!



Our hayride with the lil' munchkins 

No comments: